How to appeal a decision about your pension
Learn how to submit an appeal if you disagree with how the plan rules have been applied.
How does the appeals process work?
Write to pension management at WorkSafeBC, stating your concerns and desired outcome, within six months of the date of the director’s letter you receive through Pension Corporation’s administrative review. Include a copy of the director’s written confirmation of the decision you are appealing and any other relevant documents.
Pension management will review your letter and may request additional information from you or Pension Corporation to clarify your concern.
Pension management will then consider your request to appeal and may do any of the following:
- Request further information from you or from the corporation before making a decision
- Confirm the corporation’s decision
- Request the corporation to reconsider the issue
- Overturn the corporation’s decision and provide an alternative direction to the corporation
Pension management will write to you and the corporation regarding its decision within 30 days. If you wish to continue your appeal, go to Step 2.
Write to the WorkSafeBC Board of Directors within 60 days of the date of pension management’s letter to continue the appeal process. Submit your request to the manager of employee benefits and include all relevant documents.
If you provide any new information, the manager may do any of the following:
- Provide the new information to the corporation for consideration. If this exchange of information does not lead to resolution, the manager will submit your appeal at the board’s next regularly scheduled board meeting that is not an annual or special meeting.
- Provide the new information and submit your appeal at the board’s next regularly scheduled board meeting that is not an annual or special meeting.
The board will review your appeal documents and make a decision. The board can confirm, change or reverse the original decision.