Guide for plan members

WorkSafeBC Pension Plan is committed to helping you make the most of your pension. This guide is a provincial requirement. Please use the links at right to explore the topics most relevant to you.

Questions and concerns

Any person entitled to a benefit, or their agent, has the right to examine the plan documents, data and public information about the plan.

When to contact the WorkSafeBC Pension Plan

  • whenever you need information
  • to nominate or change your beneficiary
  • if you had retired from WorkSafeBC and are again working for WorkSafeBC
  • to claim credit for time you spent child-rearing (you can also contact WorkSafeBC Human Resources directly)
  • to request printed copies of publications (note, all of our publications are on our website and you can print directly from there if you wish), and
  • help for use of My Account

WorkSafeBC Pension Plan
BC Pension Corporation
PO Box 9460 Victoria BC V8W 9V8
Toll-free (Canada & U.S.) 1 888 440-0111
Fax: 250 953-0433
PBSA Provincial Registration Number P085663

When to contact WorkSafeBC Human Resources

  • whenever you need information
  • to update your personal information
  • if your marital status changes
  • if a plan member dies, and you are a beneficiary or represent the member’s estate
  • to transfer service from another plan
  • to ask about purchasing service
  • to claim credit for time you spent child-rearing (you can also contact the pension plan directly)
  • to request a retirement planning package or pension estimate
  • to select a pension option, once you’ve decided to retire
  • to apply for a disability pension

People Services Department Human Resources Division WorkSafeBC
PO Box 5350 Vancouver BC V6B 5L5
Telephone: 604 276-3009