Paying back a refund

Find out what you can do if you left your job and took a pension refund, but are now working and contributing to the pension plan again.

If you stopped working for WorkSafeBC and withdrew your pension contributions from the plan, but you are now contributing again, you may be able to pay back the funds you withdrew (plus interest). This is known as paying back a refund and reinstating service.

Paying back a refund and reinstating service may increase the monthly pension payment amount you receive when you retire, or allow you to apply for an unreduced pension earlier.

Who is eligible?

To reinstate service, you must meet these conditions:

  • You previously worked for WorkSafeBC and contributed to the plan, then left your job before September 30, 2015, and had your pension contributions refunded
  • You did not take a commuted value payment for your pension contributions
  • You joined the plan again on or before December 31, 2016
  • You are currently an active member

What’s the deadline?

You must apply to pay back a refund and reinstate service by whichever of the following deadlines comes first:

  • Within five years from the date you started working for WorkSafeBC again
  • Before you stop working for WorkSafeBC

What’s the process?

To pay back a refund and reinstate your service:

  1. Complete the Reinstatement of a refund request for cost form online
  2. Print the form
  3. Attach required documents to the form
  4. Send the complete package to the WorkSafeBC Pension Plan

Note: if you have questions about how to complete the form, talk to your employer. They can help you fill it out correctly.

When we have reviewed your application, we will send you a statement showing the amount owing and payment due date. The total amount will include the value of your withdrawn contributions, plus interest from the date of the refund up to the end of the month before repayment.

If you are reinstating service from before January 1, 1992, the Income Tax Act requires you to pay directly by transferring funds from another registered pension plan, an RRSP or a deferred profit-sharing plan.