COVID-19 update: To minimize service impacts and ensure the safety of our staff, we’re not accepting paper documents. Please send your personal forms and paperwork through My Account Message Centre. If you cannot access My Account, aren’t a pension plan member or are submitting on behalf of someone else, please contact us.

About claiming an interest in your former spouse's pension

To get information about your former spouse’s pension, claim an interest in it. The information can help you decide how to deal with the pension.

Make your claim by submitting a Form P1 Claim and request for information and notice to WorkSafeBC Pension Plan. The form lets us know of your claim. It also allows us to send you information about your former spouse’s pension.

On the form, you can give us permission to share information about your former spouse’s pension with others, such as your lawyer or an actuary. An actuary can use the information to calculate the value of the pension. If you’re working with a lawyer on making a claim to your former spouse’s pension, the lawyer may want to refer to Pensions and marital breakdowns: information for lawyers, on this website.

After you claim an interest in your former spouse’s pension

After we process your claim, we can send you information about your former spouse’s pension. You must request the information you want.

If you and your spouse separate before your spouse starts receiving their pension, you can request a copy of their Member’s Benefit Statement. The statement shows information about the pension, including estimates of future monthly pension payments. We’ll also notify you 30 days in advance of any changes affecting the pension. For example, we’ll notify you if your former spouse:

  • Applies to remove their pension benefit from the plan
  • Applies for their pension

If you separate from your spouse after they start receiving their pension, we’ll send you information about the pension option and whether you are the beneficiary. If you need additional information, you must request it.

Related content for making a claim to your spouse's pension

Apply to become a limited member

Understand your member benefit statement