COVID-19 update: To minimize service impacts and ensure the safety of our staff, we’re not accepting paper documents. Please send your personal forms and paperwork through My Account Message Centre. If you cannot access My Account, aren’t a pension plan member or are submitting on behalf of someone else, please contact us.

Submit a form to buy service

Use this application to apply to buy back your service from a leave or periods when you worked but didn’t contribute to the plan.

Use the personalized purchase cost estimator in My Account to find out how much it may cost to buy your service. It will also tell you how much your monthly pension benefit may increase.

Submit the form

If you are not eligible to apply to buy service online, you can submit the Purchase of Service Application form.

  1. Open and save the Purchase of Service Application form.
  2. Complete part A.
  3. Send the completed form to WorkSafeBC Total Rewards, who may request additional documents to complete your application (e.g., pay stubs or a letter of hire). Total Rewards will complete part B and send the form to the plan.


Once we have processed your application, we will send you a statement.

If you have chosen to continue contributing to your pension while on an approved leave of absence under the Employment Standards Act (ESA), you will receive regular statements about once a month.


Use this form if you are applying to buy back service for:

  • A leave of absence, either as a lump-sum payment or through continuous contributions
  • Arrears
Required information
  • The type of service you want to buy
  • The start and end dates of your gap in service


WorkSafeBC Total Rewards can help you find this information.

Related content for starting the process

Buying service for a leave

External link to employment standards

Government of B.C. Employment Standards