Receive credit for child-rearing

Earn credit for contributory service for the time you were off work to raise children.

If you take time away from work to raise your child under age seven, you can have your child-rearing time recognized as contributory service in the WorkSafeBC Pension Plan.

You can apply for a maximum of five years of contributory service for child-rearing over the course of your career. Increasing your contributory service could help you become eligible for an unreduced pension earlier.

Note: If you buy service for a leave of absence you took when raising your child or children, you do not also need to apply for a contributory service credit. Buying service for a leave automatically includes the contributory service credit.