Submit a separation agreement or court order

Send us a copy of your separation agreement or registered court order so we know how to divide your pension between you and your former spouse.

If your pension is to be divided between you and your former spouse, you must provide us with clear instructions in a separation agreement or court order about how we should divide the pension.

The separation agreement or court order should:

  • Provide the correct name of the pension plan (or plans) to be divided.
  • Clearly identify the start and end dates (day, month and year) of the entitlement period. The Family Law Act normally considers this to be from the time you and your former spouse started living together until the date you separated.
  • Indicate your former spouse’s share of the pension (expressed as a percentage). This is normally 50 per cent or less of the pension earned during the entitlement period, but it can also be greater than 50 per cent. The plan cannot divide a pension based on a set dollar amount.
  • Explain any other special provisions for dividing the pension that vary from those under the Family Law Act (e.g., if the division will include any pension service purchased after the entitlement date).

Mail your full separation or court order to the WorkSafeBC Pension Plan.

Alternatively, submit agreement to divide benefits

If you do not have a separation agreement or court order that describes how to divide your pension, submit Form P9 Agreement to have benefits divided to tell us how to divide your pension.

You may want to work with a lawyer to prepare the separation agreement or court order.

Related content for submitting a separation agreement or court order

Pensions and marital breakdowns: information for lawyers