Life changes

Women smiling with paint roller

Changes in your family

Making changes to your beneficiaries

Your eligibility to change your beneficiary depends on the option you chose at retirement.

Separation or divorce

If you separate or divorce after you start receiving your pension, you can’t change your pension option. In some cases, this may mean that your former spouse continues as your beneficiary. Talk to a lawyer for help understanding your situation.

Once divorced, or in the case of a common-law spouse, you separate from that spouse, your former spouse is no longer eligible for coverage under your retiree extended health and if enrolled, voluntary dental. You must contact WorkSafeBC’s Total Rewards team immediately at to end these coverages for your former spouse.

Managing the death of a beneficiary or spouse

Contact us if your spouse passes away and we’ll walk you through the next steps. If another beneficiary passes away, please update your beneficiary information in My Account.


Update your address in My Account

If you’re moving within your current province or country, you can update your address using My Account. If you are moving to another province or country, please contact us through the Message Centre in My Account.

Change your direct deposit to an international account

If you’re moving outside Canada, you can update your direct deposit to go to your U.S. or international bank account.

How moving affects your income taxes

Each province and country has its own tax rate. Keep your address up to date with the plan to ensure you’re paying the right amount of tax for your situation.

How moving outside BC affects your extended health and dental coverage

Your extended health and dental claims are processed by the Blue Cross office nearest to you. If you are moving to a province outside BC, contact Blue Cross Canada to find your local office.

Moving to another province may also affect your some parts of your coverage and your access to online services through Pacific Blue Cross. Contact your local Blue Cross office for more information.

The extended health care and dental plans don’t offer out-of-country coverage. If you are moving outside Canada, contact WorkSafeBC Total Rewards to cancel your coverage.

Returning to work

If you are returning to work for WorkSafeBC, let them know you are a retired member. You will continue receiving your pension and will not make new contributions.

If your new employer is part of a different pension plan, you may be eligible to enrol in that plan.

Planning for your final years

You can authorize someone to manage your pension on your behalf should you no longer be able to. You can do this using documents like a power of attorney. Contact the plan for more information.

Providing for your loved ones

Learn how your pension may provide a source of income for your beneficiaries and what your loved ones need to do after your death.

Death and death benefits

Nominating your beneficiaries
2 minutes  |  Published: May 30, 2023

Learn the different options and the importance of nominating your pension beneficiaries.