When you retire, your health coverage changes
You will be enrolled in extended health coverage if you or your dependants meet eligibility requirements. You can also choose to apply for optional dental coverage through your pension. Your coverage in retirement may be different from the coverage you received while you were working. Read the booklet available from Pacific Blue Cross for details about what’s covered.
Health coverage through the pension plan is not guaranteed. Benefit levels, including premiums, may be changed at any time by the WorkSafeBC Pension Committee.
- Retirement health coverage: Learn more about eligibility, how to apply for dental coverage and the cost of premiums.
- Health care benefits after you retire: Get the facts about what’s covered by the plan’s extended health coverage.
- Voluntary dental plan: Find out what’s covered by the plan’s optional dental coverage.
Pacific Blue Cross (PBC) is the plan’s extended health and dental carrier
Pacific Blue Cross provides extended health care and optional dental coverage for you, your spouse and eligible dependants.
Sign in to PBC Member Profile to review and manage your coverage online.
- Pacific Blue Cross: Learn about Pacific Blue Cross, the plan’s health and dental carrier, and register for PBC Member Profile.
Enrolling in coverage after retirement
Dental coverage through the plan is optional. However, if you don’t enrol in coverage when you start your pension, you may not be able to enrol in the future. Review the eligibility rules before you decide about coverage.
- Don’t miss the boat on health and dental coverage: Learn about the eligibility rules when you apply for coverage after retirement.
Contact WorkSafeBC to change your coverage
Contact information for retirement health coverage: Find out who to contact if you have questions about your retirement health coverage.
Managing your health in retirement
Take advantage of programs from the Government of BC to help you manage your health.
- HealthLink BC: Access reliable non-emergency health information and advice in British Columbia.
- Healthy Families BC: Explore “Aging Well” for tips to manage your health and reduce chronic disease.
- PharmaCare for B.C. Residents: Find out if you are eligible for a PharmaCare plan to cover some prescription drugs and medical supplies.