How to address a concern or appeal a decision

Find out the steps you can take if you have a concern about how the plan rules were applied.

Filing an appeal

You can only appeal a decision once the following has occurred:

  • You reported your concern to Pension Corporation and completed the administrative review process
  • At the end of that process, you received a letter from the corporation’s director of pension operations confirming the original decision

You must start an appeal within six months of the date you receive the director’s written letter confirming the corporation’s original decision.

To file an appeal, you must first contact pension management at WorkSafeBC.

How to appeal

Step one: Contact pension management

Write to pension management at WorkSafeBC stating your concerns and desired outcome. Include a copy of the director’s written confirmation of the decision you are appealing and any other related documents you have.

Pension management
Phone: 1-888-757-5552

Pension management will review your letter and may request more information from you to clarify the issue or concern. Pension management will then contact Pension Corporation for related information and documents.

This step allows you and the corporation to review all information relevant to your concern. It’s also an opportunity for you and the corporation to submit any other information the Pension Committee may need to make a decision.

Step two: Continue your appeal to the Pension Committee

If the information exchanged in step one does not lead to a resolution, pension management will submit the appeal to the Pension Committee for review.
The Pension Committee will review the information and make a decision at its next scheduled meeting. Pension management will contact you about the committee’s decision.

Options if you disagree with the Pension Committee’s decision

You may seek a remedy through other agencies, such as the Office of the Ombudsperson or the courts.

Related content for how to address a concern or appeal a decision

WorkSafeBC Pension Plan documents

External links for how to address a concern or appeal a decision

Pacific Blue Cross

Office of the Ombudsperson