How to address a concern or appeal a decision

Find out the steps you can take if you have a concern about how the plan rules were applied.

If you have a concern about the service you received or a decision that affects you, contact WorkSafeBC Pension Plan—we want to hear about it. We care about getting things right. In most cases, we can resolve the issue quickly, easily and to everyone's satisfaction.

If your concern is about a decision that affects you and contacting us does not resolve your concerns, you have the option to start the dispute resolution process. This process includes two steps:

  1. Requesting an administrative review
  2. Appealing to the WorkSafeBC pension committee

Related content for how to address a concern or appeal a decision

Plan rules

WorkSafeBC Pension Plan dispute resolution process

Pacific Blue Cross

Office of the Ombudsperson